Saturday, September 4, 2010

Things I (Don't) Have

When I come to a new place, my initial instinct is to compare it to a place I have just been. My initial impressions:


Things I have in Kosovo that I also had in Moldova

  • Semi-paved streets
  • Delicious Turkish snacks
  • Duvet covers instead of sheets
  • “Fairy” brand dishwashing liquid
  • Convenient markets on every corner
  • Miscellaneous Turkish television shows
  • A ten-minute walk to work
  • Nice and interesting coworkers


Things I have in Kosovo that I didn’t have in Moldova

  • Lights with motion-sensors in my hallway!
  • My own office
  • Turkish coffee
  • Television channels in English
  • Television channels in French
  • Slovenian beer
  • Çevapi (a Balkan food that resembles a cylindrical meatball)
  • An elevator in my building
  • Euros
  • A balcony
  • Tasty street food such as döner
  • English-speaking waiters and store clerks
  • Deadwood on TV (with Albanian subtitles)
  • Чайник (electric tea kettle)


Things I had in Moldova that I don’t (yet) have in Kosovo

  • Speakers for my iPod
  • Fluency in the local language
  • Towels
  • A language tutor
  • Тапочки (slippers)
  • Peace Corps volunteers
  • Fulbright friends
  • Pelmeni in my freezer

1 comment:

  1. Döner . . . . . . mmmmmmmmmm. That makes it all worth it.

    ReplyDelete